When to use SWA

To: "'shop-talk@autox.team.net'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: When to use SWA
From: Conrad <conrad@conrad.uk.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 20:32:51 -0000
I have 2 small outbuildings that I use as workshops. Both are about 70
metres from the house. I have run 2.5mm SWA to both of them, but I need to
run a proper welder and compressor in them so the 2.5mm is no adequate. I
reckon I probably need 10mm cable, but in SWA that will cost a forture.

So, the question is do I _need_ to use armoured cable, or can I get away
with normal house wiring cable? Obviously I shouldn't bury it. Perhaps I
should suspend it on a rope between trees or something?

Cheers,

Conrad