RE: When to use SWA

To: <conrad@conrad.uk.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: When to use SWA
From: Steven Trovato <trovato@computer.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 20:56:45 -0500
Conrad,

Electrical questions like this tend to require answers in terms of the
building/electrical codes enforced by whatever governing body is in charge
of such things.  In the US, it's the National Electric Code, though various
localities have added their own requirements.  The vocabulary is apparently
quite different, as we have no idea what SWA is, and measure our wires in
"gauge" number, rather than mm.  I can tell you that in the US, anything
that involves the words "rope" and "tree" would be pretty much out of the
question.  I would seek out some local advice.  If you can't find it here,
you can try asking where you buy your electrical supplies.  I have found
supply stores that are generally unfriendly to non-electricians, but if you
find a friendly one they can be helpful.  It helps if you make your
questions as specific as possible.  They generally don't like to teach a
course in "how to be an electrician" across their counter.  Another
possibility in the US is to ask the local electrical inspector, but this is
only a viable choice if everything is being done "above board", with
appropriate permits.  Another possibility is to contact an electrician for
an estimate.  You will learn his approach.  You can then try to work out a
"deal", like you dig the trench and he does the hookup.  This will cost
more than "free", but it can work if you need the professional assistance.

-Steve
trovato@computer.net