Re: Inflatable Spare:

To: Steven Trovato <trovato@computer.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Inflatable Spare:
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 10:54:17 -0600
Steve:

<<<snip>>>OK, I'm starting to get the idea.  I understand what twin cam
rims are
like.  I assume the spare mounts the same as a non-twin cam.
<<<snip>>>
Right

<<<snip>>>
It protrudes  through the wall from the boot into the area behind the
seats where the
hood is stored, right?
<<<snip>>>
Right

<<<snip>>>
People seem to be mostly suggesting mini spares that are full diameter,
but narrower, like used on many contemporary cars today.
<<<snip>>>
Right, but using one of those narrower tires on a full width standard
rim won't gain much space.

<<<snip>>>
The inflatable type I'm thinking of are smaller diameter because
they're sort of "collapsed" and their diameter extends when inflated.
<<<snip>>>
Right.  That's what I recall.

<<<snip>>>
Are you trying to avoid sticking the tire through the "slot" at all?
I'm
afraid I don't have an answer for you regarding a suitable model, but
I'm
just trying to understand what you want to do.
<<<snip>>>
Having the tire stick through the slot isn't the main problem.  I want
to gain some boot space.  The MGA has less boot space than an MGB.  I
don't think I want to add an external luggage rack which involves
drilling holes.  Some of those external racks can't handle much weight
without oil canning the skin.  And I really don't want to ruin the
visual lines on the rear of the car.

Not having the tire stick into the cockpit would be an added bonus as
the area behind the seats becomes more storage.  That area then would be
more like the later model coupes.

Blake