Re: [slightly OT] vehicle mass, tread width, and hydroplaning

To: Randall <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: Re: [slightly OT] vehicle mass, tread width, and hydroplaning
From: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@kns.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 12:02:43 -0500
Randall wrote:
> > Hoo boy, all the guys I know (autocrossers/hard drivers, though) swear
> > AT (not by) the RE92. (David Hillman agrees)
>
> Just for the record, I was _NOT_ recommending the RE92, it was just the
> first thing I ran across in a 165-wide 14" tire.

Aha, gotcha.

> > David Hillman wrote:
> > >    There is no excuse for skimping on tires; they are the only thing
> > > between you and whatever afterlife you happen to believe in.
> > >
> > > Unless you can afford to stay home when it snows, get snow tires.  They
> >
> > Hear, hear! (on both counts)
>
> So, unless I can afford two full sets of racing tires (or to stay home
> when it snows), I should just roll over and die ?  Sorry guys, there are
> some hard realities in life, one of them is that we sometimes don't get
> the toys we want.  For that matter, when I leave home to go snow skiing,
> it's frequently 60F or warmer.  Am I supposed to stop halfway up the
> mountain and change tires ?  Oh, and are one of you going to come carry
> the spare set around for me ?

Whoa!  Easy!  What I was agreeing with was that if you really want good
traction in the snow, you need snow tires.  You can get decent or
passable traction with all-seasons, but it won't be as good as true
snows.  The decision lays with the buyer to figure out how much snow
they expect to see and how much driving they'll need to do in it.  I
have snow tires and went through the last two winters on my AS tires
without too much trouble... aside from that one big snow.

As for the first point, you disagree that the tires are the most
important part of the car, and they should not be cheaped out on?  This
doesn't necessarily mean getting the most expensive tires out there,
just the best ones for your particular application!

I don't consider the right tires for the conditions to be "toys", and I
missed the part where someone advocated carrying a spare set of tires
for when the weather changed.

> > The D60A2 was a great tire,
>
> Must depend on the size and car then.  On the rear of my 59 TR3A, they
> were like giant ball bearings in the rain.  On the front, they
> hydroplaned.  My RE71s work _much_ better wet or dry (even though
> they're wider, 205 vs 185).

My experience with D60s was with the Miata and Integra, both in the
185/60-14 size.  The D60s do lose wet traction as they get older, but
they are pretty good new.  Snow traction was good, as well... my wife
managed to do quite well in a sudden 3-4" snowstorm when the D60s were
fresh.  Towards the end of their life, oh my!

The RE71 is also a completely different tire... it's a performance
summer tire.  If you wanna compare apples to apples, compare the RE71 to
the SP8000, which was a great tire.  I've driven both in the 205/50-15
size and prefer the SP8000 although the RE71 was a pretty darn good
tire.

cmh
--
Chris Heerschap - UNIX Systems Mutilator                   Ancoro imparo