Re: [slightly OT] vehicle mass, tread width, and hydroplaning

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [slightly OT] vehicle mass, tread width, and hydroplaning
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:08:27 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Randall wrote:
> So, unless I can afford two full sets of racing tires (or to stay home
> when it snows), I should just roll over and die ?

   No.

   If you care about controlling your vehicle ( and *not* rolling over and
dying ), you should keep proper tires on it.  If you don't mind sliding
around out-of-control and having no options to avoid all the other
out-of-control cars, by all means drive around on whatever black round
objects you can find.  Just don't slide into me.

   No one makes tires that work acceptably in both snow and summer
conditions.  That means two sets of tires are required.

> Sorry guys, there are some hard realities in life, one of them is that
> we sometimes don't get the toys we want.

   You're right, I'd love just one set of tires for summer, racing, snow
and ice racing.  Unfortunately, no such animal exists, so I have 3 sets of
tires.

> For that matter, when I leave home to go snow skiing, it's frequently
> 60F or warmer.  Am I supposed to stop halfway up the mountain and change
> tires ?  Oh, and are one of you going to come carry the spare set around
> for me ?

   Snow tires work much better in the dry than dry tires work in the snow.
In fact, I've used Pirelli snow tires in the summer briefly, and
recommended them to people who need snow traction but could only have
one set.  They work better in the summer than many all-seasons.  Put the
snows on in your garage when going skiing.

   This isn't rocket science; all it amounts to is, "Use the right tool
for the right job" ( which is actually on-topic for this list ;).

--
 D a v i d  H i l l m a n
 hillman@planet-torque.com