RE: [slightly OT] vehicle mass, tread width, and hydroplaning

To: Matt Liggett <mml@pobox.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [slightly OT] vehicle mass, tread width, and hydroplaning
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:55:07 -0800
Matt :

It definitely depends on what you are doing, but in general there's no hard
relation between tire width and car weight.  _If_ everything else is equal,
then narrow tires do have an advantage in some limited situations, like
moderately deep snow and standing water.  But, tread design and whatnot are
bigger considerations.

165/65-14 is not too uncommon, it shouldn't be too hard to find some in a
decent performance tire.  Purely as an example, Tire Rack has Bridgestone
Potenza RE92 in that size, $47/tire.

It still isn't going to work well in deep snow or on ice, for that you need
studded tires and/or chains.

Randall