Re: [slightly OT] vehicle mass, tread width, and hydroplaning

To: Matt Liggett <mml@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: [slightly OT] vehicle mass, tread width, and hydroplaning
From: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 08:23:33 -0500
I read your message and all the replies. Then I did what I always do
when the great tire debate comes up, checked out the Tirerack web site.
I plugged in your tire size and checked off high performance, and came
up with the Sumitomo HTR200. Then I checked out the Owner's Tire Survey
results at http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/hp.jsp and saw
that the Sumitomo rises to the top in wet traction. I realize the survey
is not scientific, but in my experience, the ratings have been pretty
accurate for wet traction.

Sumitomo was tied up with Dunlop so the tires used to be similar. I'm a
huge Dunlop fan, but I wait with fear and trepidation to see what
BadYear is going to do to them since they took them over in '99.

Then I went to my favorite winter tire store on the net,
http://www.swedishsolution.com/snow.html Again, your size is available.
I run the Gislaveds Nordfrosts three months a year during snowy season.
They are far better dry tires than the Blizzaks or Hakkas, both of which
I find scary bad in the dry. The Gislaveds feel almost like summer tires
in the dry, yet they are almost as good as the Blizzaks and Hakkas in
the snow and ice. Yes, I've driven all three plus Michelin Arctic
Alpines recently. So for the person who has to go from 60 degree weather
to the slopes, Gislaveds would be an ideal ski season tire. The
Gislaveds also last much longer than the Blizzaks.

So get yourself a set of Sumitomo HTR200. Get a set of steel wheels from
Tirerack or the junkyard and run the Gislaveds for snow an ice season.
You will be delighted in all seasons instead of scared. As for costs,
well, what is being in control in heavy weather worth to you vs. being
out of control?

Jon Rush