Re: Sand Blasting Cabinets

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sand Blasting Cabinets
From: BSHolden@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 21:37:22 EST
> My next shop tool is going to be a sand/glass bead blasting cabinet. Having
>  been inspired by someone's suggestion about building a dirty room has
>  motivated me to consider acquiring a cabinet for my future dirty room!
----------------
About 12 years ago, I built my 3'x2' x2' "blast cabinet";
Out of 2x4's, 3 sheets of 1/2" plywood, a used 5 gallon drywall bucket, a
pair of rubberized gloves with a reach of  ~ 12 reach from the local tool
distributor, a few other misc. things (piece of glass, an old porch light
fixture for interior lighting within the 'blast cabinet, door hinges, tin
roofing flashing), hose and a sand blasting gun from the local Menards. To
minimize dust....I stapled a piece of old bed sheet between the homemade
hopper at the bottom (talk about angle of dangle and compound cuts of wood!)
and the bucket.

All in all, it has worked well.
My design size was limited by the reach of the gloves. And I don't need a
"dirty room" in which to use the cabinet, thanks to weather-stripping the
access door. The initial downside to my cabinet was wear on the back side of
the box.
Solved by lining with roofing tin.
Cost? ~ $100, not counting my time.

Didn't need store bought plans..just thought it out,

Bart Holden

///