Re: Sand Blasting Cabinets

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sand Blasting Cabinets
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 19:20:57 -0500
At 05:12 PM 11/26/01 -0500, Forest Majors wrote:

>My next shop tool is going to be a sand/glass bead blasting cabinet. Having
>been inspired by someone's suggestion about building a dirty room has
>motivated me to consider acquiring a cabinet for my future dirty room!
>
>I have a 60 Gallon 5HP Ingersoll Rand two stage compressor rated at
>15CFM/175PSI  and I have a pressure blaster for larger jobs - fenders, small
>animals, etc..
>
>So the following questions on blasting cabinets come to mind:
>
>What is the minimum cabinet size to consider for a home garage/auto
>restoration guy to consider?
>
>What is the maximum size for the same guy - cost being a consideration?
>
>We are talking a couple of cars and maybe an old tractor here...
>
>Opinions on the kits based on plywood construction for the cabinet.
>
>And opinions on specific retailers/manufacturers.

Forest,

  As with most things, my opinion is the bigger the better.  I own the larger
of the Harbor Freight plastic blast cabinets and really enjoy it.  I like it
as I don't have the dedicated room or a dirty area.  So mine is quite
portable.
When I am using it, I put it on a Black N Decker Workmate in the side yard.
My dad has a larger SnapOn all metal cabinet.  It has a larger blower built
into it vise having to use my shop vac.

  I also have the HF 40 gal pressure blaster.  For any real job, I much
prefer this.  It cuts a lot faster then either of the cabinets as they are
syphon systems.  When I use the pressure blaster, I string a rope across the
corner of my fence and hang a large tarp over it, and lay a piece of cardboard
or plywood on it as a floor.  I can reclaim about 80+% of the sand I use.

As to the wooden, homebuilt cabinets, there is NOTHING wrong with them.  You
can't beat them for the price.  Again, a wooden cabinet would have been too
big and heavy for my application.

Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com> said"

plywood is kind of rough on the inside and beads tend
to get stuck at the top of the funnel, I have to smack the sides once in a
while to get  all the beads down to the pickup tube.

We have this problem with both the plastic and metal cabinets.

Hope this helps some.

John

        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan