Re: Big Problem

To: james.f.juhas@snet.net, epetrevich@relavis.com
Subject: Re: Big Problem
From: "Dave Munroe" <brutusdog1@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 22:15:05 -0400
Inch;

I went through this process recently in assessing the value of a commercial
property with a suspect soil condition. Two points:
If you hire a professional soils engineer/consultant to do an assessment,
the report is between you and the consultant. In this neck of the woods, at
least, there is no fiduciary requirement for either party to report to any
authority. The consultant can tell your friend if this is the case where he
lives. If he doesn't like what he sees, he can burn the report.
Second, there are a number of new technologies being developed that may
enable him to eliminate the contamination without risking personal
bankruptcy.

It is unfortunate that the property came to your friend as a potential
liability rather than a nice little testamentary asset, but there are two
issues here, a legal one and the moral one. You don't want to leave someone
else a legacy of contamination. Your friend's best approach is to have a
professional report completed with possible clean-up solutions and their
costs. If he doesn't like what he sees, he can burn it and just let the
propery sit. At least he has the leaky tank out of there and he's stopped
the bleed.

Dave