Re: Big Problem

To: JNiolon@uss.com
Subject: Re: Big Problem
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:25:59 -0500
The EPA treats leaky oil tanks as if is a toxic super spill like the
Love Canal or Exxon Valdez. The answer is that removal might not
bankrupt him; it WILL bankrupt him. I wouldn't advise anyone to do
anything illegal, but I suggest that your friend examine all of his
alternatives before calling the EPA or a disposal outfit that he doesn't
know real well...

Mike

epetrevich@relavis.com wrote:

> Morning folks.  I got a friend with a BIG problem on his hands.
>
> I have a friend that was getting ready to sell a property when he removed
> the oil tanks (there were 5 of them).
>
> When removed, 3 of the tanks had leaked oil.
>
> Now, the problem.  Has anyone gone through EPA remediation for this type of
> thing?  Any ideas what to look for in contractors?  What kind of costs can
> he expect?
>
> The property was left to him in a will and now he may end up bankrupt as a
> result.  Any ideas?
>
> (is there a "shady" way to handle this?  I'm not exactly clear who knows of
> the leaks yet.  (he dug the tanks up himself))
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Inch

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
(msloane@att.net)
<http://home.att.net/~msloane>
<http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=204428>

"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve
the quality of life, please press 3." --Alice Kahn

///