Can there be too many outlets? (was: Re: Another electrical

To: LBC286@aol.com, pethier@isd.net, trovato@computer.net,
Subject: Can there be too many outlets? (was: Re: Another electrical
From: Noemi Berry Doudna <noemi@nebcom.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 09:58:50 -0800
> > Of course.  Put outlets in your shop every two studs or so.  You can never
> > have too many.

When we were building our garage, this was among the most
common advice we got: "can never have too many outlets."

I can tell you one time when we reconsidered that: when we
saw the electricians' bid!  At $90 a pop, did we really need
a quad right behind a door, where it'd be blocked when the
door is open?  And once you start putting in cabinets and shelves,
you end up blocking a lot of the outlets.  Well, we stuck to
our outlet plan, since by then we were well into the cost-resignation
and decision-burnout phase of the project anyway.  And having
outlets everywhere does offer the flexibility of placing cabinets
anywhere.

They're also 48" off the ground, all quads, every 4 feet on the
long walls (where cabinets/ladders are), and closer in workshop
areas.  Also have 9 or so in each of two ceiling areas, for
flexibility in placing plug-in light fixtures.   And there are
still fewer than what it sounds like most of you would consider
minimum :-).

Now people look at our garage and say: "Jeez, why so many
outlets in here?" !

noemi
--
Noemi Doudna