Re: Just passing this on

To: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Just passing this on
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 09:31:06 -0800
On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 09:02:27AM -0800, Randall wrote:

> Lee, I'm on Eric's side on this.  See below.
>
> Lee Mairs wrote:
> >
> > Corporations are giving away resources that do not belong to them!
>
> On the contrary, corporations have a duty to their stock holders to
> spend money as necessary to ensure the success of the corporation, and
> ultimate profits to them.  The very foundation of buying stock is
> "Here's my money, please spend it to make more money".

Thanks, that was one of the two points I was trying to make
and you said it better.

[..]

> >  The insight that Robert Bork has made
>
> Somehow, I wouldn't look to Robert Bork as being an authority on how to
> run a successful business

The Bork quote was arguably appropriate when applied to government
(what Bork was apparently talking about in the quoted material).

However there is a _huge_ difference between government and free-market
business-- in the free market, if you don't like how a company that
you have invested in spends your investment dollars, you are free
to sell your investment and go invest in a different company.

With government, you do not have that choice... and in fact,
investment is mandatory (taxes) and enforced by men with guns (IRS).
This makes government charity wrong-- it's immoral for someone to
force me to give them money and then give it to someone else.
Corporate charity OTOH is not wrong, since I am not forced to
invest in a given company and can choose to invest in a company
that does not do charitable donations if I so desire.

This is off-topic for shop-talk, so this will be my last posting
on this subject here.

Eric

///