Re: Can there be too many outlets? (was: Re: Another electrical

To: cak@dimebank.com, ericm@lne.com
Subject: Re: Can there be too many outlets? (was: Re: Another electrical
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 10:54:19 -0800 (PST)
> I know there are books that explain wiring so that I could
> understand it, but are there books that'll explain how
> to "do it to code"?  I haven't seen any.  I don;'t even
> know where to get "the code".

You don't really want to own "the code", since it mostly
covers industrial and farm wiring, as well as home stuff.

Fine Homebuilding puts out a series of books for the DIY newbie, I'm
sure they have one about wiring. I picked it up along the way (but I'm
comfortable with electrons in general), understanding the techniques -
when it came time to figure out the specifics of my garage, I found a
book called "Practical Electrical Wiring" by Richter & Schwan. It's a
distillation of the code, probably intended for the plant maintenance
supervisor or educated contractor - it was perfect for me. Has tables
of ampacity and conduit sizes that are taken from the NEC and explains
them and the reasoning behind them. Warning: it's an older book (first
printed in 1947, mine is from 1976, there's a later edition from 1984)
so it doesn't have the very latest details of the code. The good news
about that is that it covers fixtures and techniquest that you might
find in an older home!

This gave me the confidence to do my own design and wiring; I passed
electrical inspection without any issues.

chris

///