RE: A simple question about electricity......

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: A simple question about electricity......
From: "PHINNEY,HARRY K (HP-Corvallis,ex1)" <harry_phinney@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 11:10:24 -0700
Randall wrote:
>  > I
>  > ran a frame ground to the common ground on the box. Was
>  > that wrong?
>
>  Nope, that's just fine.  The third wire you ran is a 'safety ground',
>  since it doesn't carry power needed for the compressor or (I assume)
>  welder.

I'm no electrician. All I can say is that about 2 years ago the electrical
inspector here in Linn County, OR made me correct my wiring by connecting
the third wire of my shop 220 circuits to Neutral, rather than Ground.
I assume this is how household 220 circuits were wired (prior to the 4 wire
circuits required today) to accommodate things such as 110V light bulbs
in the dryer or oven. I had wired them to Ground, as it seemed more
appropriate for equipment such as compressors and welders, but the
inspector gave me a correction notice, and passed me only after I changed
it.

Harry Phinney

///