Re: A simple question about electricity......

To: randallyoung@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: A simple question about electricity......
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 12:49:10 -0400
I am confused. When I wired up my compressor motor, I ran (through a 50
amp plug and receptacle) both wires from the ganged breaker to the two
contacts on the switch. Since there was a third wire in the sheath, I
ran a frame ground to the common ground on the box. Was that wrong? I
though that, if nothing else, the ground would drain off any static
build up caused by the belt drive, etc., since the compressor sits on
rubber pads and has no other ground.

The compressor runs fine, by the way, and shares the receptacle with the
Lincoln stick welder, should I need it. The welder also works fine.

Should I remove the ground for safety? That seems counterintuitive.

Mike

Randall wrote:

> Right, but only at the panel or power entrance.  The common serves a
> different purpose than the ground (aka safety ground), and is also tied
> back to the line transformer output.  In a nutshell, the common carries
> current, while the safety ground should never carry current.
>
> Randall
>
> Charlie Mathews wrote:
> >
> > As I recall, the common wire is also tied to ground.  At least thats the
>way I
> > wired my last house.

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ