Re: A simple question about electricity......

To: randallyoung@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: A simple question about electricity......
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:34:44 -0700
Mike Sloane wrote:

> I am confused. When I wired up my compressor motor, I ran (through a 50
> amp plug and receptacle) both wires from the ganged breaker to the two
> contacts on the switch. Since there was a third wire in the sheath, I
> ran a frame ground to the common ground on the box. Was that wrong?

Nope, that's just fine.  The third wire you ran is a 'safety ground',
since it doesn't carry power needed for the compressor or (I assume)
welder.  Just don't add anything that draws power through that ground,
like a 110v light bulb (or a 110v fan inside the welder).  If you have a
110v part, you need to run a 4th wire, to be the neutral/common and
carry power.

Sheathed wire is available for this purpose (ask for 10/3 with ground or
whatever size you need), but it is somewhat harder to find, and more
expensive.

Randall

///