RE: weed trimmers

To: "'shop-talk@autox.team.net'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: weed trimmers
From: "Lyn Fatt, Brian A" <brian.lynfatt@eds.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:28:37 -0400
IMNSHO, the 4 stroke model Ryobi is a POS. I
still use it, but so rarely, I have to do
maintenance on it everytime I want to use it.
When i got it, the POS would not idle the first
time out. After screwing with the idle controls, I
followed the procedure in the manual on setting
the mixture. That worked for a while. Then one
day, I went to use it and it would not start.
So I took it apart. The carb uses a rubber flap as
a metering device. That rubber flap was stuck to
the orifice in the carb. I was able to use some
gas and free it up and then it worked until the
gas lines broke. I've been through many gas lines
and sessions of taking the carb apart. At this
point, it still doesn't idle unless I hold my hand
on the trigger. I'll probably have to do the idle
mixture again, as the idle screw is maxed.
I wear the thick leather gloves from Home Depot
when using it and my arms still ache after about
an hour's use. Even with 29db reduction earplugs,
this thing is LOUD! In contrast, my neighbors on
either side of me have the two stroke model and
they have no problems. I bought the 4 stroke
because I didn't want to mix the oil and
gas. Of course, YMMV.

Brian
brian.lynfatt@eds.com

[snip]
> Input on brands appreciated.
>
> BTW, a couple of years ago Ryobi came out with a 4 stroke model.  What
> happened with it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David Cole
[snip]