Re: weed trimmers

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: weed trimmers
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:53:01 -0400
This may not  be what you want to hear.

I've had several different types over the years.  From Poulan to Stihl, with
some Royobi and Mac and such tossed in.  Of them all, the Stihls were far and
away the best.  As in so vastly superior that there is no comparison of it to
anything else I've ever used.   Superbly balanced, extremely powerfull, always
start easily, run well, and many specialized accessories if I want them.

I also used to work in a small engine shop repairing these types of machines.
The units like Poulan are virtually impossible to work on.  With everything
hiding in that shroud, you can't repair it cost effectively.  They are also
typically and inherently hard starting, balky, weak units.   Balance is bad,
vibration extreme.  The exhaust usually exits onto your hand and thigh, then
envelops you in a cloud of fumes.
Units with an exposed engine are better.  You can actually work on them, and
tune them.  They balance better, work better, and start a lot easier.  Exhaust
is to the rear away from you.

I've got 4 acres, partially fenced, with a creek, pond, and orchard.  The best
Poulan I had (I used to get them for free) could never keep up with the place.
With the Stihl, I can trim everything in about 2 hours.

>>> David Cole <racrcole@earthlink.net> 06/13 2:35 AM >>>

It's been a litle quiet on this list lately.  This might be off-topic, but
I consider it a tool.  So:

Looking for input on gas powered weed trimmers.  AKA Weed Eaters

The Yeas and Nays would be appreciated.  My old one has finally died after
almost 8 years. Cylinder is so worn it needs a new engine.  That costs more
than a new one. It a Poulan/Weed Eater SST45.  A special model, they only
made it a couple of years and it was a good one.

Wants:
1.  Medium duty, 1.5 acres (about 1.5-2hrs worth of trimming) every 10-12
days from March-October.  Don't want to spend the big bucks for a
Stihl/Echo/ Husky.  Say $85-$130 range.
2.  Straight shaft, for easier reach under shrubs etc.  Straight shaft
doesn't require that it has brush blade capability.  Current dead one has
straight shaft, but can't use a brush blade.
3. At least .080 line.  None of the wimpy .060 that seems to be on all of
Poulan's current 'Featherlight" series
4.  Fairly light weight.  So wife can't use weight as an excuse not to use
it while I'm at work making money to support the family.  <grin>
5.  Easy to start.  See above.

///