Re: parts washers, was: Re: Parts Cleaner Fluids....

To: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: parts washers, was: Re: Parts Cleaner Fluids....
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 02:39:13 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Randall Young wrote:

> Years ago, I made one from a single tub stainless steel sink (scrounged

ah ha!  well, *duh*.  c'mon ask me about accounting for deferred
construction costs!  ask me anything!  really, I'm smarter than I look...

I bet I can get a sink *cheap*, too...

> from a building they were tearing down), one of those 'drill motor'
> pumps, and a plastic 5 gallon drum that originally held restaurant
> pickles.  Don't recall what solvent I used, but it was petroleum based
> (probably heating oil).  It lasted two years, but got thrown away when
> we moved.

the pickle drum was a nice touch... ;-)

> The pump in my HF 'sink style' parts washer died after less than a year,
> I plan to replace it with another drill motor pump (and the original
> drill motor, which I still have).

that's why I'm kinda leery of the h.f. stuff.  I figure just the drum and
pan would be a good deal if cheap enough, and I can get a new motor, but
I'm pretty illiterate on electric motor stuff, and I don't know what to
look for, so...

> Who is giving away barrels ?

gas station about .5 mile from my house.  dunno why, or what came in 'em
before, but free is a quality overcoming many faults.  I was thinking I'd
get two, cut one in half and use it for the pan (my uncle made a barbecue
he's very proud of that way--well, actually *he* didn't do squat, he had
the pro welders where he works--a metallizing company--take a el gigante
grande stainless steel (Iirc) barrel and cut on it 'till it had a door,
some racks, temp. probe, spit, and I forget what else, then he got it to
his house and bricked it into a pit.  the whole thing, if memory serves (I
was in awe when I last saw it a few years ago so that it looked like the
pantheon at the time) was the size of a late-model toyota sedan.  he took
me out back (in illinois, at christmas) so he could show it to me, and how
good it cooked the chickens he had going for the party that night.  that
man was sniggering like a crack addict.  huh?  where was I...?)

oh right, cut the bottom barrel to accept the top one, weld them together,
cut the top one in half, shazaam.  but that'd be one mighty heavy cover.
I like the sink idea.  'course, that barrel would be plenty big for 'most
anything...  and I'd have to make a cover for the sink anyhow...  hmmm...

scott

///
///