Re: Garage Heating Choices....

To: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Subject: Re: Garage Heating Choices....
From: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@kns.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:34:47 -0500
Richard Beels wrote:
> North of Philly, 900 sq. ft. 2 car garage, 2 windows on the front, none in

Where north of Philly?  Just curious, I'm in Doylestown.

> the rear, 2 garage doors, house heated by H2O baseboard driven by
> oil.  Propane tank in the back for the kitchen stove and (currently unused)
> dryer.
>
> How to heat the bugger?  Phil's 50 degrees is what I'm aiming for.

Are the walls or doors insulated?  That makes a *huge* difference.  The
walls aren't insulated in mine, but by insulating the doors (got 2"
thick foam insulation from Home Depot) that made a big difference.  Then
when it's really cold I use a propane heater with the two round 6"
radiant elements.  Does quite a nice job, and no doubt will be better
when I get around to tearing down the existing drywall and adding
insulation.  I added a carbon monoxide alarm for when I use that, but
even with two cars in a 400sq ft (read: darn small) garage haven't had a
problem with fumes.

cmh
--
Chris Heerschap - UNIX Systems Mutilator / Postmaster