Re: Storing Parts

To: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@Prodigy.Net>
Subject: Re: Storing Parts
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 06:46:06 -0400
It is easy enough to build a simple wooden stand with vertical pieces to
support the
crankshaft by the mains, but the contact between the metal and wood would invite
corrosion. Maybe a piece of wax paper between the wood and metal...

WD-40 ("Water Displacement-40") is all but useless for long term storage - it
evaporates after a while. I have had very good luck with something called
"Plow-Kote", used by farmers for storing agricultural implements outdoors. It
dries
as a heavy black paint that only mineral spirits can remove. Industrial supply
vendors also have plastic-like spray coatings that are sold for storing
machinery
outdoors or on ships in transit. I have a friend who maintains hydraulic
systems on
off-shore oil rigs - maybe he has a recommendation...

Mike

--

Mike Sloane

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your
right to say it. -Voltaire (1694-1778)