Storing Parts

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Storing Parts
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 17:17:38 -0400
How would you store, for the long term, parts such as crankshafts and
camshafts without having to worry about oxidation setting in or "shelf wear"
on the surfaces?

I am not thrilled at all with Cosmoline, many Stanpart/BMC/BL parts were
coated with this wax like substance, and for storage time not exceeding a
couple of years it works fine.  However, it seems that storing anything five
or more years the stuff doesn't adhere to the surface of the part well,
allowing air and moisture to get underneath the Cosmoline skin and
accumulate.

I have thought about using Desmo (brand) wax tape, but can not locate any in
the USA.  I've read about it being used to wrap chassis in this tape so they
will not rot or allow water in.  It is apparently a very sticky waxy tape
that is a real pita to install because of it's stickiness.  Cons?  I bet
cleaning it off of the part is a real task.

So what are the solutions for long term part storage?

Thanks!

--
Kai M. Radicke -- kai@radiohead.net
1974 Triumph TR-6S (as in supercharged!)