RE: Car gets hot

To: "'shop-talk@autox.team.net'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Car gets hot
From: "Lyn Fatt, Brian A" <brian.lynfatt@eds.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 11:11:57 -0400
[snip]
> Thanks for the help already, but I'm still a bit puzzled by the MGB's
> cooling system.  I flushed the system, and refilled the block
> and radiator
> with coolant.

I'll add my two cents...

Don't know if you have a service manual, but the cooling
system may have a special bleeding procedure. An example
would be the Toyota MR2. If you miss any of the air bleeders,
you eventually blow the head gasket. The point here is that
the temp guage does exactly what you describe.

Also ensure that all of the body work is in place. I have
been chasing an overheating problem in the Miata and the
cause was a friggin' piece of plastic. Air would go out
via the plastic at the side of the radiator instead of
through the radiator. Duct tape works wonders! It was
finally fixed before the race when I was at Savannah and
it sure was hot there.

Brian
brian.lynfatt@eds.com