Car gets hot

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Car gets hot
From: Mark Purtell <purtell@students.uiuc.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 08:24:38 -0500 (CDT)
Thanks for the help already, but I'm still a bit puzzled by the MGB's
cooling system.  I flushed the system, and refilled the block and radiator
with coolant.  Then I drove the car (to open up the thermostat) and added
more coolant (I did this twice).  Now when I drive the car, the
temperature needle moves up to the middle of the gauge temperature at a
"normal" rate, and then once it reaches about halfway, it stays there for
a minute or two and then it shoots up to the overheat area-it doesn't
always reach "overheat", but it gets close and will occasionaly peg the
end of the gauge. Once the needle says "overheat", as I drive faster, the
temperature gauge moves down from overheat, but never remains in the
middle of the gauge.  The engine doesn't seem really hot, and my Hayden
fan is running fine.  I have already replaced the temp sensor and have 180
degree thermostat in it.

Thanks in advance-
Mark