Paving a brick walkway....

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Paving a brick walkway....
From: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 12:31:25 -0700

Now that the weather is finally cooperative, I get the joy of putting in a new
walkway
and shed.  It's not all bad; all the gardening/lawn stuff goes into the shed,
giving
me that much more room in the garage....

I'm in Portland OR.  It doesn't snow (maybe 1"/year?) or dip below freezing
(maybe a
few days).  The "soil" is heavy clay, and a portion of the walkway path slopes
significantly
(~7' drop over 50' run).  I don't intend to put in any steps, as I'll need to
wheel the
mower, etc. up and down this path.  I'm trying to keep the walkway as simple as
possible,
just so I can get back to building my car (and because I'm lazy.... =;^)

I've ruled out concrete, as I don't think I can make it slope very well.  Also,
I'm
trying to avoid the need to dig out 4" of clay, add gravel, tamp it down,
etc....
I've been told by the fine folks at Home Depot that to install a brick path, I
only
need to tamp down the dirt and lay the brick on top.  Is this accurate, as their
own book says I need to excavate, add gravel for drainage, etc?  Now, we all
know what
answer I *WANT* to hear....but what's the right answer?

About the shed, it's going to get built underneath out deck (remember the 7'
dropoff?).
Due to the spacing of the deck supports, I can only make it about 5'x4'.  I'm
planning
on getting 4 pier blocks, and casting them into place on top of gravel with
concrete.
I'll be building a shed foundation using .4cca (?) pressure treated wood.
Other than
laying down a layer of landscape fabric and maybe a sheet of heavy plastic
sheeting,
there shouldn't be any need to add any additional drainage (i.e. excavating and
gravel),
should there?

Thanks!
Mike