Shingling a Barn Roof

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shingling a Barn Roof
From: Jon & Deb Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 17:26:45 -0400
My storage shed has a barn style roof. Is that called a hip roof, where
it has two steep sections near the walls and two shallow sections
leading up to the peak?

Anyway, the PO shingled the transition from steep to shallow by laying
sections of shingle sideways over the last rank and nailing down
through. This caused water to collect and rot the particle board. So I
need to R&R that section of roof and reshingle. How do I shingle at that
transition to avoid the water collection problem?

Pointers to online shingling guides welcome, since I've never shingled
anything more complicated than a doghouse.