RE: auto darkening welding shades

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: auto darkening welding shades
From: "Kendall F Jones" <mrjones2@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 13:47:27 -0400
My 1st auto-helmet was a similar deal (same features but more $$) with the
solar panel on top.  After about 13 months, the unit just stopped working
(the welds appeared very bright =-o ) - I'm by no means a heavy welder (but
I am heavy and I do weld...).  I used it 1-2 times a month.  Anyway, I had
no other means of shielding my eyes (and it was a "need to weld now"
project).  Just be sure to have a backup...

I replaced it with an big window / adjustable shade / extra battery from my
AGA supply.  Works great, I can dial it down for MIG, up for TIG.  I picked
an inexpensive helmet to go with it, they flex alot - which allows me to
mash my head up into a wheel well if needed.

Just remember, you get what you pay for.
Kendall

My professional welding associate says he doesn't use the auto helmet all
the time, as he welds all day long - he worries about the time it takes to
dim (he may strike an arc 50-200 times per day) and the long-term effect on
his eyes.