Re: auto darkening welding shades

To: mbarre@juno.com
Subject: Re: auto darkening welding shades
From: Roland Wilhelmy <rwil@cts.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 00:34:29 -0700
The critical factor in the auto darkening lens systems is that they
are supposed to filter out all the UV - all the time -
It is only the visible spectrum that gets switched between two degrees
of filtering.  That being the case, if the Chinese systems filter out
all the UV, then they are probably OK (and your eyes will tell you
otherwise before damage occurs).  I don't know how you can tell the
degree of UV filtering without measuring it, or trusting the
manufacturer.

The other dynamic between low and high cost models is the size of the
plate you can see through.  If you are always welding in position then
it doesn't matter too much, but if you are trying to weld on cars,
trying to get the torch to reach some occluded spot inside the engine
compartment or some such, then the size of the field of view is very
important.

-Roland
with an old and pretty small field of view auto helmet