Need help on a RV hitch

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Need help on a RV hitch
From: Chris Crisenbery <ffajackson@absolute-net.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 21:18:04 -0700
Hope someone out there might give me their .02$ on my problem. We
recently purchased a used 29' class C moterhome on the one ton Ford
chassis. This manufacture uses the step down frame extention from +- 10"
stock Ford frame to +- 6" extention for the back half of the motorhome.
Someone at a later date added a reciever hitch with a poorly thought out
extra steel C sections to the bottom of the existing 6" frame extention.
I feel I have 3 problems   1) the reciever hitch is only about 6" above
the ground (too low)   2) the steel used to weld the reciever hitch to
the existing 6" extention is only attached in 2 places (ea. side) by
somewhat beefy steel angle plates  3) the existing frame extention is
only 6"  to start with.

I plan on towing a 24' enclosed car hauler (3,500#) with a race spitfire
and related tools, etc. (2,500#).

What I am considering is to cut the 6" existing frame extention off
along with the hitch steel, weld a new 10" frame extention in with
diagonal cross braces and then figure out how to attach the reciever
higher (for more ground clearance).

What has been anyones experience in doing like projects and can I find
10" C steel and how do I splice into the existing frame (maybe I should
use 12" C steel and go over the 10"?) Do appreciate any and all
sugestions.

Thanks Chris