Re: [obh] Is it safe to weld attachments onto a hitch?

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [obh] Is it safe to weld attachments onto a hitch?
From: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 11:41:12 -0700

Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback.  While it sounds like I *could* get away with
doing it safely, there were enough worrisome notes about bad welds, loss
of metal temper, cracking, etc. that I've decided not to risk having my
trailer part ways at some inopportune bump in the road.  Instesd, I'm going
to go ahead and buy/build a rear bumper stout enough to hold up this thing.
How much could a 4"x4"x6' piece of metal tube weigh anyway.... =;^)

Thanks!
Mike