Re: Hydraulic press

To: "Peter Schauss" <schauss@worldnet.att.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hydraulic press
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 12:21:14 -0700

>shaft of a gearbox.  How big a press do I need for that sort
>of thing and can I get by with one from a place like
>Harbor Freight or should I look at a more expensive one?

     If you get the Harbor Freight one, weld it together !  My neighbor got
the Harbor Freight 12 ton press, nice press and about the right size for
most work on our cars.  But every time he was pressing hard with it the
thing would tweak and he would end up coming over to my house to do the
job.  For most things it was fine and its not a bad press, just the nature
of things bolted up together when you have to allow for bolts going in the
holes, we ended up welding all the joints and he has had no more problems
with it.

   I built my press from plans that were posted on this list 2 1/2 years
ago (I think, it might have been the Brit car list) and I love it.  Its
about the same size as the 12ton HF one and if I had to go out and buy all
the materials I think it would have  been more expensive to build than buy,
but I had enough scrap for it to be financially feasible.  And I got to
build it the size I wanted.

         mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing ~~~~~~~and \/    \/  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                              .oooO  Oooo.
Bug Writer er...Programmer            (   )   (   )
                                                        \_)  (_/
              webmaster@b2systems.com
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car, then
take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/