Re: Sign-o-the-times

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sign-o-the-times
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 20:21:27 -0500
Nick, List,

   I'm glad I'm not the only one that's seeing this.  I've had similar
thoughts quite frequently.

  Junior, the youngest machinist in either of the machine shops around here
is my age (40), and probably won't keep the shop open by himself when the
other two older gents in the shop retire.

  My favorite body man, another Nick, the only guy I know who still works
exclusively with lead, and the only guy I've ever seen add more lead to a
previous lead repair without getting a drop on the floor, is over 70 and has
never had an assistant worth a damn.

  Then today on one of my other lists there is a discussion about
customizing cars.  I immediately think sectioning, nosing, decking,
frenching, channeling and chopping.  All of which Nick makes look like
beautiful artwork.  No... this is the modern perception of customizing:

  "Customizing to include things from interior customs, to paint, to ground
effects,          to shift knobs, steering wheels, dome lights, sound
systems, cold air                      induction, custom turbo plumbing,
lifting, lowering, etc..."

  There's definitely a trend here.  It extends to parts men who don't have a
clue how to use a book, cashiers who can't make change, and mechanics who
are parts changers instead of troubleshooters.

  Best of luck finding a decent heat treating facility for your sway bars.
Not exactly the kinda thing you can do on the back yard barbecue.  If
nothing else you may be able to ship them off somewhere.  That's the kinda
stuff I expect, living in a town that doesn't even have a post office, but
it's shameful for your area.

Chuck Rothfuss
Mechanic/Teacher
Pole Cat Hollow, NC