Re: The Ideal Shop HELP

To: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Re: The Ideal Shop HELP
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 10:21:47 -0800
On Wed, Dec 22, 1999 at 09:10:48AM -0600, Jack W Drews wrote:

> Duncan120@aol.com wrote:
>
> > OK fellow car nuts..... this is your (mine) big opportunity to help design
> > the ideal shop without having to spend any of YOUR money.
> > I have just bought a house in SW Michigan that includes the following...
> > a 72 X 24 foot building with 10 foot ceilings
> > and
> > a 45 X 24 ft 2 story building with 8 foot ceilings on the lower level (which
> > leads outside through a 40 inch wide side entrance) and 12 foot ceilings.
> >

> Congratulations! What fun!!

Yea, I'm totally envious.

> The things I have always wanted and never quite been able to achieve are
>separated areas for different activities. I would be pleased if my clean engine
> and transmission assembly area or room never saw any chips, filings, or weld
> splatter.
>
>Likewise, I'd have a fabrication area that was ventilated in such a manner that
>dust and debris was contained or exhausted. I'd have air filters on every fan
>and
>every device that moves air around.

A paint booth would be nice too.

The book "How to Set Up Your Motorcycle Workshop" (C.G. Masi, Whitehorse
Press 1996) would be useful.  It's got a lot of info about
lighting which is really helpful for any shop, bike or car.

I'm trying to figure out what sort of shop building to build (or rather
have built, I might be able to finish the interior myself but that's
about it).    It's mostly to work on bikes but will need to handle the
occaisional car and provide parking for a small tractor.  And provide a
work area for pressing apple cider and extracting honey.  (fortunately
we just do those as a hobby, not commercial, so we don't need a lot of
space for that).

So I looked for house floorplan design programs on the net, so I could
lay out all the stuff that I want in the building and figure out how to
fit it all in.  I played with a program called 'Fast Plans' but it's not
all that great, and it's not possible to add in my own objects (i.e.
motorcycles and cars and shop equipment) to lay out on the floorplan to
'test out' different floor plans.

Does anyone have any recommendations for software, hopefully free
that's good for this?

Thanks!

--
 Eric Murray www.lne.com/~ericm  ericm at the site lne.com  PGP keyid:E03F65E5