The Ideal Shop HELP

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: The Ideal Shop HELP
From: Duncan120@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 08:24:56 EST
OK fellow car nuts..... this is your (mine) big opportunity to help design
the ideal shop without having to spend any of YOUR money.
I have just bought a house in SW Michigan that includes the following...
a 72 X 24 foot building with 10 foot ceilings
and
a 45 X 24 ft 2 story building with 8 foot ceilings on the lower level (which
leads outside through a 40 inch wide side entrance) and 12 foot ceilings.
Both buildings are of cinder block construction.
I am planning to turn the larger building into a "museum" for the cars that
are completed while using the smaller building as a workshop.
The budget is not unlimited but I want it to be "right."
The completed cars that will be housed are as follows
MG TC
Porsche 356
Bentley Continental

While the projects are
Jaguar XK120
MGA Twin Cam
MGA Deluxe
A few (3) more cars are "on the line." A single seater, a sports racer, and a
dual purpose sports car.
I have accumulated a lot of old British dealership stuff such as posters,
etc., that should be in the museum and a lot of service station stuff that
should be in the shop.
I was planning on using a tile floor in the museum with brick walls inside.
The office will have chestnut floors and a lot of old office equipment that I
have accumulated over the years.
Shelving to house the extra stuff I have accumulate over the years along with
some machine tools will be housed in the lower level while the main level
will have the tool chests, work bench, grinder, buffer, drill press and
blasting cabinet.
I have the following equipment: Sun distributor tester, engine analyzer, VAT
20 and 28, misc. a few meters. AMMCO brake shoe arc grinder. Engine stands,
flow bench, grinder, buffer, Uni-Hone blasting cabinet, Quincy 15 HP air
compressor which will be covered outside, and every hand tool and then some
it seems.
The final assembly will take place in the museum.
I am trying to recreate the era between 1945 and 1960.
As there is a nice uh.... er..... grassy knoll on the side of the house I
plan on having car clubs over to hold concours. There is space for about 50
cars in the field.
Put on your thinking caps and help me out.
What equipment would you recommend? What am I missing (a life!)? What would
you do differently? The project will start around the beginning of April.
I'm kind of excited about this.

Thanks Much

Ron