Re: Recommendation for plasma cutter, and source for spot-weld

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Recommendation for plasma cutter, and source for spot-weld
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 20:00:32 -0500
At 10:44 AM 11/24/99 -0800, Mike Lee wrote:

>Yes, the holiday season will soon be upon us, and visions of large, heavy,
>gift-wrapped boxes under the Christmas tree are floating in our minds......
> it seems that a plasma cutter would do a much nicer/cleaner job.

Can't help with this one, but keep us appraised on what you find out.  I've
been drooling over the idea of a plasma cutter!

>Finally, is there a good source for spot-weld cutters?  The local shops don't
>have them (I get blank stares)....  Mail-order or chain store is fine.  BTW,
>I am in Portland OR, if anyone knows of a local place (the welding shop is
>Pacific AirGas for you local types).

Seems to me that I picked up mine at the local auto paint supply store.
However, I'm NOT real impressed.  It seams that it would be easier to drill
the spot weld completely out, then try to weld up the hole left in the
good piece of metal.

When I used the spot-weld cutter I have, I ended up cutting 1/2 way or all
the way through the good piece of metal.  Maybe I just don't know how to
use it properly.

John

>Thanks, and have a great Thanksgiving everyone!
>Mike

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org