Re: Tool for a loved one

To: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Tool for a loved one
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 17:05:41 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Randall wrote:

> Chris Heerschap wrote:
> >
> > How so?  A 12 point socket gives you 30 degree increments, as opposed
> > to the 60 degrees of a six point... granted... but with a 72 tooth
> > ratchet, you've got a five degree swing, so if the six point doesn't
> > quite line up, pull it out and turn the ratchet two clicks and you've
> > gone only 1/3 of the distance of the twelve point and don't have to
> > worry about rounding the fastener!

this is one of the best reasons to buy a fine tooth ratchet--they make
12-point sockets obsolete.

> The 12 point socket gives you better odds that you won't have to pull
> the ratchet out and turn it.

I'd rather pull my hand out than strip a fastener.

> This can be a significant difference if,
> like me, you have fat arms that sometimes have to be wedged into place
> to reach a particular bolt.

ah, well, you've got me there, if I had to deal with that things might be
different.

> Not to mention that there are such things as 12 point bolt heads.

I've seen them on: the cylinder to case nuts on a '72 triumph daytona, and
hardly put them on some of their 'bikes'.  on the triumph, they were
replaced with spline nuts, and if I owned a pig...er, hog, I'd sell it.
no wait, they get someone else to wrench 'em, so this is moot.  and I'm
not a wrench (for money) anymore, so I don't need to sweat it.  my point
is, on my personal machinery, I'd change the fasteners.  to get them off
originally, I have the sears set in a tool box in the laundry room
somewhere.

scott