RE: Tool for a loved one

To: "'Chris Heerschap'" <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>,
Subject: RE: Tool for a loved one
From: Robert Bownes <rbownes@neworks.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 15:23:59 -0500
> > And IMO, you always have to worry about rounding the fastener or
> > breaking the bolt.  Using a 6 point socket just tips the
> odds towards
> > breaking the bolt.
>
> I'm spoiled... the cars I work on are fairly new and breaking bolts
> hasn't been a concern.

See, that's where my original comment about never having rounded a
bolt/nut comes in. In  ~30 years of wrenching on things automotive, I've
broken many a nut/bolt, rounded plenty with a open end or crescent
wench, but never rounded one with a 12 point socket. Now there have been
a few that I couldn't get a socket to fit on because they were rusted,
but those are oddball cases.

Most of what I've wrenched on has hardly been new. But, in the last few
years, I've also taken to replacing fasteners as I go too...

iii