Re: Lights and ceilings

To: "tllaz" <tllaz@cros.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lights and ceilings
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 23:20:30 -0600
From: tllaz <tllaz@cros.net>

>I just finished buiding my new workshop/garage and have some questions if
any one out there can help.

>!. What are the beat type of lites to use in a heated garage/shop.

Beat lighting?  Very dark and shadowy, with sudden splashes of light.  Goes
well with the black-and-white decor.  :-)

For a garage, though, I think either scads of naked soft-white bulbs (I have
12 in my garage area and 18 in my shop) or fluorescent.  Will probably put
in a few 4-foot doubles over the benches.  There are some who say the 4-foot
units are not as dependable and insist on the commercial 8-foot units.  I'm
not that dedicated.

>2. Hase any one ever used a suspended ceiling in a graage.  I need to put
up something over the insulation and hate to lift drywall 11 feet.

The drywall lift I rented easily went to 8 feet.  I think it would have done
twelve.  I did all the 20x30 ceiling in one day.  Ask your local rental
place how high their lifts go.  You must have a tall enough ladder, or how
did you get the insulation up there?

Don't forget to put a vapor barrier on the shop side of the insulation and
ventilate the other side.  I put up the insulation, stapled 4-mil plastic
under it and then slapped up 1/8" hardboard (drywall was in short supply and
nearing 9 dollars a sheet).

Lotus Europa, VW Quantum Syncro (SOLD), Saturn SL2, Chev Suburban
LOON, TCVWC, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/