Re: shop heaters, more specific

To: pethier@isd.net, swhiteh3@mpdr0.detroit.mi.ameritech.net
Subject: Re: shop heaters, more specific
From: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 15:40:43 -0800
There are 1500W quartz/IR heaters that are about the same size as
a fluorescent fixture. They are supposed to be on a dedicated 15A
120V circuit. (There's also a 3000W version that wants a 15A 220V
circuit - has two tubes instead of one.) They work great for heating
you, or things within their direct radiation area - about 8x12' -
and those things may or may not be effective in radiating some heat
back into the surrounding air.

My experience with a 1500W unit is in an uninsulated garage - it
would knock the chill off, but the lack of insulation and the
lack of a vapor barrier meant that I had to be standing *in*
the beam to feel comfortable. The garage as a whole never
got warm, and condensation and surface rust continued to be a
problem. (We're talking rainy California winters here.)