Re: Toilet/Shower drain help.

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Toilet/Shower drain help.
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 21:26:36 -0600
From: Dave Williams

>  We have a problem with tree roots, which periodically clog the pipe
> that runs out to the main sewer line that goes to the street.  Estimated
> cost to replace the pipe is $1200.  For the last eight years, we've just
> had the plumber come out and run the big snake down cleanout.  It's
> about the size of an exhaust pipe, with a snowmowbile engine driving it.
> Takes him about five minutes.  Charges us $50, but it lasts a couple of
> years each time.

A friendly plumber put me on to the solution of this problem which had
plagued me for years:  3 or four times a year, preferably when you're going
to be away for a few days,  flush the toilets and at the exact end of the
flush, dump a coffee can full of cheap "livestock" or "ice cream" salt in
the bowl . . . the heavy crystals will stay in the pipe until later flushed
away . . . any roots die and deteriorate.  You can dump salt in the
"cleanout" also, but the toilet is easier.  I haven't had to "roto-root" in
years and the pesky elm tree is still thriving.   My pipes are clay but the
salt shouldn't really hurt plastic or thick cast iron drains.

Tony
your experience may vary...