Re: Toilet/Shower drain help.

To: "Lyn Fatt, Brian A" <brian.lynfatt@eds.com>
Subject: Re: Toilet/Shower drain help.
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 08:37:31 -0500
"Lyn Fatt, Brian A" wrote:

> Looking for help with the Toilet and shower drain.
>
> Symptoms...both toilets in the house drain very
> slowly. The shower backed up this morning when I
> used it, although it is now empty. It was fine
> yesterday. Bathroom and Kitchen sinks seem to drain
> ok, when pipes are on full blast so the flow out is
> faster than what the pipes can provide at full blast.
> The guest shower backs up and caused water to come
> up in the previously empty Master shower.
>
> I rented a snake but it wasn't designed for the toilet.
> It's been spinning in the Master shower drain for a few
> minutes and has not coughed up anything. I thing there
> is about 3 feet left on the reel. Most of the snake is
> down the drain. Next plan is start pulling the toilets
> apart so that I can use the snake directly in the
> toilet drain.
>
> Anything that I missed? Any other suggestions, or
> should I call a plumber?
>
> Brian
> brian.lynfatt@eds.com

Brian,

Not sure about the layout of your pipes but try to
draw a map of how they connect.  This will give you
an idea were the clog will be located.  From you post
the clog has to be after the 2 toilets and both showers
but before the sinks.  That does not sound correct, so
I will assume that the sinks cannot supply the same amount
of waters as the showers or toilets.  Some ideas that
might be helpful.

1.  Make sure your snake is going where you think it is. I have
had mine go up the vent pipe, and come out another toilet.
2.  Are there any clean outs in your drain pipe.  If so, you
might use one those as a location to start your snake.

Good luck, but try to figure out where the clog is
located.

Bill