Re: Fw: air tools

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Fw: air tools
From: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 10:01:31 -0400
Trevor Boicey wrote:
> > If you buy only one good air tool make sure that it is a good impact
> > wrench. Be prepared to spend at least $125 for one. I would take what you
> > have back and order a decent one from Harbor Freight.
>
>   Can you get an impact wrench that works well but
> isn't large?

My IR 2131 is quite compact and very competent.  There have been bolts
which have stumped it, but all in all it is one hell of a gun.

>   I confess, I have one of the cheapie impact wrenches but
> so far I haven't been tempted to trade up because it's never
> let me down.
>
>   However, impact wrenches in general are so large at least
> half the times I want to use it, it doesn't fit, and out
> comes the blue wrench instead.

Oh, now I see what you mean...  yeah, the 2131 is still too big to fit
most places.  I get around that with a whole bunch of extensions (I
have about 2-3' of impact extensions) or with my smaller 3/8" impact
gun.

If that doesn't fit, it's time for the trusty Blackhawk swivel head
ratchet.

>   Ideas? I have a butterfly impact wrench but it's not
> really the same thing.

No, they're usually fairly weak.

cmh
--
Chris Heerschap - UNIX Systems Mutilator/Postmaster
     mailto:Heerschap@eng.kns.com