Re: E-Z Out

To: kevins@khoral.com, chip@wmsbrg.com
Subject: Re: E-Z Out
From: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 10:56:21 -0700
"William C.W. Lamb" wrote:

> I wish. It's flat with the surface of the broken bolt, which is flat with
> the surface of the unobtainium spindle/hub.
>
>>> How about a bolt with a busted E-Z out in it? First person to come here and
>>> remove it gets a beer.
>>
>>Is there enough sticking out for you to weld something on there?

I once had a busted bolt and EZ-out all broken off flush with an Aluminum head.
 Finally took it to a welding shop.  They placed a nut over the busted bolt (
the nut was the next size down from the bolt diameter) and welded the *inside*
of the nut to the broken top of the bolt. It took him a *lot* of effort to weld
because the high carbon (?) steel of the EZ-out didn't want to weld, but he
finally got it to hold.  Then all he had to do was put a wrench on it and it
screwed right out (I guess the heat broke it free).  Next time, I'd soak a lot
of Liquid Wrench or Kroil on the bolt first to help it along..

Moral of the story is to take it to the welder before drilling for the EZ-out
and breaking the EZ-out , etc., it would make the job a lot easier...

Tim Mullen
Chantilly, VA