Re: heating a garage

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: heating a garage
From: "John Mikes" <jmikes.gt4.38@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 18:52:18 +0000
It was written by Eric J Petrevich/LRM:

> I have a 25'X48' (that's not a typo)  garage that is masonry block all the
> way up to the roof.  The garage also has an extra high ceiling so warming
> it could be expensive. First thing was to replace the windows with glass
> block (I did this for security as well) I added a wood stove in there.

Check with your local authorities--some communities won't allow
wood stoves in garages that are attached or within a specified
distance of the house. Same goes for your insurance company.

> Besides the fact that it take up floor space, it has been well worth it.
> I just get a fire going about 15 mins before I go out there to work and
> the place is VERY warm (note, I built a fan unit that blows the hot air
> back into the garage.)

In addition to adding more heat to the space, those kind of exhaust
heat extractors can lead to heavy creosote buildup and increase
the chances of a chminey fire.

**John Mikes in Minnetundra  jmikes.gt4.38@worldnet.att.net
**Backstretch Careening & Carousing Society
**#38 CSR Ralt RT5 **#38 GT4 Datsun 510
**Proud Uncle of Randy Hibbs, #2A Savin Outlaw Sprinter