Re: Painting floors

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Painting floors
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 15:05:33 -0600
I've read several of the good responses to this subject and I'd like to add
a couple of PS comments based on a few decades of maintaining concrete shop
floors:

1.  To clean a seriously dirty, greasy floor, even one with a built-up layer
of crud, my tractor shop guys discovered a magic method entirely by
accident.    After an careless spill of 2 or 3 gallons of naphtha, a lazy
mechanic nearing quitting time, dumped a sack of "oil-sorb" in the puddle
and left it overnight.    The next day, the "oil sorb" was scooped up for
reuse and amazingly, there was bare concrete where there had been a hard
layer of buildup before!  They refined the process to include scraping off
the worst parts first and leaving the kitty-litter on the spot for a full 24
hours.  The naphtha breaks down the oily base of the crud and the
kitty-litter sucks it up leaving only powdery dirt.
Make sure the kitty-litter layer is thick enough that the top surface stays
mostly dry on application . . .you can reuse it several times if drying time
is allowed.

2.  I too, could never get a good muratic acid etch by brooming, or mopping.
The acid was "spent" immediately on contact and the result was mottled.  The
solution to the problem was the use of a big plastic garden sprinkler can .
. .it allows you to get the fresh acid to every square inch of concrete.
Protect all bare metal during this process . . . . the fumes are corrosive .
. . .use breathing masks but don't trust them . . .use fans to blow fumes
away.

3.  I might even skip the acid etch sequence on clean, used and non glossy
concrete.  The new "super-adherent" primers my paint man sells me stick to
glass or anything.
Deal with a "real" paint supplier . . . there are some magic products out
there.

Tony