Cool Tools

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Cool Tools
From: Eric J Petrevich/LRM<inchman@prolog.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 20:24:57 -0500
Every now and then I go through the Harbor Freight and Northern catalog and
buy all the "someday, I'll get those" tools.

Well, I just got an order and I wanted to report on some findings.

HF tools...

Among other things, I finally decided to order a "spot sand blaster"
(cat#34957 for $9.99)
Damn, what a great deal!  The kit is a gun that feeds waste back into the
hopper.  There are different tips for it for uneven surfaces.  I filled it
with Al oxide media and it worked great.  No mess.  For the price, it is
"must have tool."

I also ordered a tap and die set. (35407 for $45.99) Pretty good quality
for the price.  I haven't put them through the ringer yet, but the quality
impressed me for a set under $50.

I got the autodarking welding helmet (35466 for $149.99)  Works great (I
was VERY impressed)  but I've seen the prices cheaper in Northern after I
made the order.  Northern has them for about $119, but I don't know if
there is a difference in quality.

The O-ring assortment was also a winner. (02901 $12.99)  A very well
designed box for the O-rings plus a bunch of different sizes.

Things that were disappointing...
Light kit for the sandblast cabinet (35636 for $12.99)  mostly just a
outdoor light fixture, a switch, and a small metal box.  If it wasn't for
the hassle of sending it back, I would.

One item that is both good and bad. a reciprocating saw (36595 for $49.99)
This is a variable speed saw (kind-of)  The switch is single pole, but
there is a dial on top of the handle to control the speed.  The Pot. on the
handle can be operated while using the saw, but it is a little awkward.
Also the cut length is 1-1/2"  this is the longest one I could find.  For
the price, I really can't complain.

>From Northern I 14"  Ryobi reconditioned chop saw (1544 $159.99)
I've seen these for as low as $99, but this one has an adjustable fence for
angle cuts and a 3.5 HP motor.  It is a good unit for the price, but
nowhere in the ad did it state that it was "reconditioned."

Well, that was just some of  the stuff in this order.  If you guys don't
want to hear reports, I will not post them.  But I think that it is a great
way to help each other if we post good and bad of the stuff we buy.

Note: I don't work for either company my only gain from this post is the
"warm cozy" feeling I get helping my fellow Tool Men.

Inch