RE: Cool Tools

To: larryhoy@cwix.com, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Cool Tools
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@inline-tech.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 10:56:43 -0800
>Mike, any estimate as to the total cost of the cabinet?

  I don't really have a cost estimate since I had most of the materials
already.  The plans are available for $7.50 by themselves and the kit costs
$139 (it was $119 when I bought it).  I bought the kit which includes the
gun, foot pedal and pickup tube.  I already had the lumber and angle iron
but it was 2 sheets of plywood for the size I built, the size in the plans
is built with one sheet.  There is probably 20 feet of angle iron and a few
steel caster which could be replaced by a few 2x4s.  The gloves I bought at
Builders Emporium before they went under for $12 and the glass came from a
auto wrecking yard off of the side of a wrecked Toyota camper shell for $5.

  Plywood runs between $14 and $20 around here depending on the quality so
for the size in the plans thats lets say $20, glass should have cost me $18
at the glass shop, I think it could be done for under $250 total if you
shopped around, I did mine for $150 in cash and used up remnants around the
shop that were sitting unused.

  I noticed that TIP also has a "complete" kit for $219 that includes the
gloves, glass, glass frame, light kit...I would probably go that route if I
was going to redo it, I have seen the TIP gloves and they are much higher
quality than what I bought at Builders and it would save the time hunting
down the detail parts.

 By the way, I like my cabinet it works well and I can't imagine how I did
anything without one before !

        mike