Re: Garage Door Openers

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Garage Door Openers
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 16:45:51 -0600

Garage doors and openers have given me grief this year . . . . perhaps
someone can benefit from my bad luck.   The doors on both my garage and my
shop are 16' sectional doors  which open on overhead tracks and the spring
device is a pair of coil springs in torsion co-axially fixed to the
cable-drum shaft.   The problem which I had on two of the doors was caused
by the set screws loosening.  Once it was a cable drum and again it was a
spring hub.  The shaft on both of the problem doors is a hollow tube and the
set screws naturally work loose causing "GAWD-AWFUL" hard and risky labor in
getting them back right.  The moral is:  Go out and tighten the set-screws
RIGHT NOW!   :-)

Problem #2 was the failure of the receiver on a Sears door opener . . . An
hour on the phone to both Sears and the manufacturer resulted in no help
except that the circuit board  for the receiver was no longer serviced on my
10 year old opener.  I was nearly resigned to a total new opener purchase
when I found on a peg at Sears, a set of transmitter and receiver units made
to replace the radio switching devices on most every powered door opener,
including Sears and Stanley . . . Latest state of the art coding and only 30
something bucks!  Of course, the tech idiots at neither Sears nor the
manufacturer  seemed to know the kit existed.

Tony
all door running smoothly  .  .  .  .now.