Re: Covering Air Compressors

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Covering Air Compressors
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 17:04:40 -0600

An audiologist straightened me out on insulating for noise.  It's all
different from insulating for heat!   He'd built several sound-chambers and
other sound-proof structures and he stressed to me that it is Density that
shields sound . . . if it wasn't so heavy and expensive,  lead sheet would
be perfect.  The best value for sound insulation turns out to be tarred
paper in several layers or thick tarred felt such is used in concrete and
construction applications  .  .  .  I'm gonna build a "dog-house" for ol'
thumper one of these days!
Tony